[Avodah] Nisht Yoshon/Not Yoshon

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Tue Mar 22 13:59:25 PDT 2011

Today I bought a package of Meal Mart Amazing Meals Parve Baked Ziti in
tomato sauce. When I got it home, I noticed that there is a label on
the side that says in Yiddish "Nisht Yoshen" and in English "Not Yoshen."

I have bought this product many times before and have never seen such
a label on it. Indeed, I have never seen such a label on any pasta
product. Some pasta products say they are Yoshen. Others say nothing
regarding Yoshen, but this is the first product I have seen that says
that it is not Yoshen.

After exchanging a few emails with Rabbi A. Teitlebaum who supervises
this product along with the OU, he wrote " According the information we
received, it is chodosh vadai, about your eating it, I can't answer,"

Based on this I am going to return this product to the store. I am not
makpid on Yoshon, but my understanding is that one is allowed to eat
sofek Chodosh but not something that one knows for sure is Chodosh.
Am I correct? And if I am, then I feel that the labeling "Not Yoshen"
on this product is a michshal, since some will assume that it means that
while the product is not certified as being Yoshon, it is sofek Yoshen.

Please see the articles at
http://www.oukosher.org/index.php/common/article/8821  and
http://mykosherla.com/kosher-faqs/what-is-yoshon/

At http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-yoshon-old_new.htm  it says

In fact, a few Rabbis have suggested that there are more compelling
reasons to observe chodosh than there are for eating only Glatt Kosher
and Cholov Yisroel.

Based on all of this I really do not understand how Meal Mart can
market a product that is known to be vadai Chodosh.

Yitzchok Levine