[Avodah] The Acharonim and Soft Matza

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Mar 22 18:41:40 PDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 09:28:33AM +1100, Meir Rabi wrote:
: I am observing that the notion of soft Matza being a perfectly acceptable
: option is quite clearly assumed by these major Acharonim.

I am just saying it's not compelling. What we find is acharonim telling
you that you don't need to mentally crush the matzah, to exclude the
air in it from the shiur kezayis. They happen to do so by speaking
of sponge-like matzah, but by their day "kesfug" was jargon, and thus
might not refer to literally sponge-like matzah, but just saying that
the amount of air trapped in the dough is irrelevent. ("Even if it
were sponge-like, you still wouldn't have to squeeze out the air.")

I share your belief that crisp matzos are not specifically required by
Ashkenazi minhag. I do not think those sources are a compelling proof for
those who disagree, though.

Micha Berger             Strength does not come from winning. Your
micha at aishdas.org        struggles develop your strength When you go
http://www.aishdas.org   through hardship and decide not to surrender,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      that is strength.        - Arnold Schwarzenegger