[Avodah] Kavod haMeis

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 13:26:56 PDT 2011

From: Saul Guberman _saulguberman at gmail.com_
(mailto:saulguberman at gmail.com)

I recall learning the reason for burying in their clothes  without
a tahara at a chevra kaddisha shiur. It was not so that the  people
would take revenge, but that God would "see" the plight of his people  &
take He would take revenge. This explanation goes well with adding  HYD,
when speaking of the niftarim.

On a practical note, this  generally does not happen in the US because
by the time EMS,the Emergency  room & the Medical Examiner have finished
their work, the person is no  longer in their street clothes, so a taharah
is done on a murder  victim.

Saul

The law requires an autopsy in a murder case (here in Florida) and if an
autopsy has been done on the head, a tahara (mikva or pouring water) cannot
be  done.  There is too much of a gaping wound and it is impossible not to
lose  blood.  I only remember seeing one case where the lady's head had been
cut open for a post-mortem, the wound then clumsily stapled closed  again.
We just cleaned the lady and dressed her in  tachrichim.  All we could do
was cover  that area in order to keep the tachrichim clean.  (She came from
the morgue  in a sheet, not in her clothes.   The bloody areas of the sheet
were  buried with her.)

Hashem yerachem and may we never see such sights  again.

--Toby  Katz