[Avodah] More Examples of "Minhagim" That Lead to Kulos

David Cohen ddcohen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 13:26:32 PDT 2011

RYL listed a number of the practices of a shtiebel near his house, mostly
involving the omission of tachanun, but also including the following:

>  They say Aveinu Malkenu only during Aseres Yemei Teshuva

As I understand it, this was the normative practice until relatively
recently.  (To the best of my knowledge, it still is the practice in
Sefaradi communities.)  Most Ashkenazi siddurim up until ~120 years ago have
Avinu Malkenu only for Aseres Yemei Teshuva, not for fast days.

(Source:  Siddur Eizor Eliyahu, IMHO one of the best sources of information
on the development of the Nusach Ashkenaz siddur as we now know it, even for
those who have no interest in the customs of the Gr"a.)

-- D.C.