[Avodah] chezi kaddish before mussaf

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Mar 10 12:16:54 PST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 09:59:16PM +0200, Ben Waxman wrote:
>>: Yet on Rosh Chodesh, we say Ashrei and U'ba L'zion, the STZ says
>>: kaddish, everyone takes off their teffilin and then some people start
>>: and some wait for the STZ. Why doesn't the STZ just wait to say chezi
>>: kaddish as we do on Shabbat?

>> Because you don't go to the right minyan...

> So in  your opinion, the minyanim who do it the way I described are
> simply making a mistake?

You overestimate my self-awareness. I'm just telling you what my minyan
does. I didn't actually consider issues of right-and-wrong.

Off the cuff, it's obviously wrong -- but perhaps necessary on work-days
-- to have the tzibbur rush in taking off their tefillin. Lack of kavod.
RYBS held that it's better to continue wearing one's tefillin through
mussaf than to not put them fully away before davening. At least, if
one isn't saying "Keser". He was less sure for those davening Sfard,
not giving a definitive pesaq (as I remember my father repeating it).

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l