[Avodah] Moshe Rabeinu and his family

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 9 15:25:43 PST 2011

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 05:57:27PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
>>> How is it implied, strongly or weakly?  On the contrary, I think the
>>> text implies that she did *not* know.

>> Very simple. If you read the text without preconceptions, you see that
>> it highlights a number of interesting twists.

> Sorry, you're seeing things that are just not there.

You mean, like your earlier assertion in reply to REG that:
>> Midrash Berasthi Rabbah 1:26, however, says that he was weaned for 2 years,
>> not Sepher Shemot.

> Two years was the standard time for nursing.  The pasuk says his mother
> had him until he was weaned; therefore that was two years.  There's no
> need for any midrashim.  This is peshat, not derush.

That first sentence isn't in the book, it's "only" in chazal. Comments
on Yitzchaq's age of weaning (24 mo) and the lateness of Shemu'el's.

Back to RZS's reply to RAF:
>> After all, wet nurses
>> don't just run around by the thousands among the poor, the destitute
>> and the downtrodden. It's a profession for those employed by the most
>> wealthy, not for downcast slaves and their cousins.

> Excuse me?!  That is the exact opposite of the truth.  Where *else*
> does one find wet-nurses *but* among the poor, the destitute, and the
> downtrodden?  Who else is it, do you think, who has spare milk?

Well, when a potential future caesar needed milk, they wouldn't settle
for anyone lesser than the wife of the nasi. Admittedly they're centuries
apart, but it does seem to defy your exagerated (and pointlessly hostile)
"exact opposite of the truth" and a "where *else*".

>> Then, the Pharao's daughter tells the woman to take that boy to nurse
>> him, and she will pay her wage, which is as much as asking the
>> presumed mother to relinquish her motherhood

> Again, huh?  How on earth are you seeing that there?  What is in the
> least unusual about offering to pay the wet-nurse the usual wage?
> Did you think they work for free?

Slaves usually do.

Micha Berger             Man is capable of changing the world for the
micha at aishdas.org        better if possible, and of changing himself for
http://www.aishdas.org   the better if necessary.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Victor Frankl, Man's search for Meaning