[Avodah] Noda b'Yehudah - How And When To Take Tzedaka From a Married Woman

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Feb 23 07:09:40 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 08:21:07AM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:
> Feminists will probably not like this. Furthermore, what if the wife is
> the main wage earner in a family, as is the case in many Kollel
> families, and yet she does not make the financial decisions in the home?
> From http://revach.net/article.php?id=1625
>
> The Shulchan Aruch (Yoreh Deah 248:4) says...

I'm not sure the SA applies to the working kollel wife.

The SA and NbY lived in eras when it was taken for granted that the wife
didn't wave her claim to being supported, and therefore the husband owned
maasei yadeha. (More than that, since women aren't halachically expected
to make a parnasah, the majority of her effort might even be haadafah,
but I don't think we have to argue this.)

I would think a kollel wife, by waving her claim to mezonoseha gains
ownership of maasei yadeha, and could give it to tzedaqa if she so wishes.

See EhE 80:18 -- did I get that right?

Micha Berger             Life isn't about finding yourself
micha at aishdas.org        Life is about creating yourself.
http://www.aishdas.org                - Bernard Shaw
Fax: (270) 514-1507