[Avodah] What is a Rav? (was kosher stores, rechovi)

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Feb 22 03:12:34 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 02:39:27PM -0500, Prof. Levine quoted R' Dr
Joseph Breuer:
:     A powerful speaker, a brilliant author, a profound thinker ­ all very
:     impressive. But this powerful speaker, brilliant writer, profound
:     thinker must also be a truly eminent Talmud Chocham, for otherwise
:     his rabbinical qualities will just be those of a lifeless puppet.

And to which he commented:
: Just think about what kind of a Jewish world it would be if we had many
: such rabbonim today!

You don't get a reality where most fit the ideal. What defining the
ideal does it tell us what we should be working toward. And I have to
say that in my experience, most of our typical LOR today does aspire to
be as eminent a talmid chakham as he can. And few shuls don't look for
this in a prospective rav.

Micha Berger             "The worst thing that can happen to a
micha at aishdas.org        person is to remain asleep and untamed."
http://www.aishdas.org          - Rabbi Simcha Zissel Ziv, Alter of Kelm
Fax: (270) 514-1507