[Avodah] kosher stores, rechovi

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Fri Feb 18 11:17:48 PST 2011

From: menucha _menu at inter.net.il_ (mailto:menu at inter.net.il)

Rn TK is cholek on the meshane Halachot, but my original question  (and
the reason this post was bounced by the moderators from areivim to
avodah) is whether this is found anywhere in psak.
sadly, this  strengthens my hypothesis that the long skirt bashing is not
daas  Torah.....  menucha

T613K at aol.com wrote:

> From: menucha <menu at inter.net.il>
>

>  >> Is the restriction against long skirts found anywhere in psak? I  seem
> to be finding the opposite.
>

>  menucha
>

> If the choice is mini-skirts or floor-length then yes, halavai they
> should all wear long skirts.  But.

You seem to be defining "daas Torah" as "something that has a  written
source."  If nobody can point you to a written source you say "it's  not daas
Torah then."

I think daas Torah would be defined by most people as pretty nearly the
opposite:  something that doesn't have a written source or that, whether or
not there are written sources, is held by [most of] the rabbanim and poskim
of  the day to be normative and/or preferred behavior for Torah Jews.  I
speak of Torah Jews as people who want to live, not only a minimal
letter-of-the-law existence, but an optimum Torah-true life.

I must hasten to add that I have by no means exhausted all the possible
meanings and permutations of "daas Torah" and I don't plan to write that
5,000-page book any time soon.   I only mean to disagree with this one  narrow
point, namely, that if a Rav says something for which there are no  explicit
written sources, then what he said is not daas Torah.  On the  contrary, if
he is a Rav, then what he says is ipso facto daas Torah.

OK OK just stumbled into a minefield, "What is a Rav?"  Not going to  write
/that/ 5,000-page book any time soon, either.

Just this:  the set of "daas Torah" and the set of "written  sources" are
not identical sets.

--Toby Katz