[Avodah] kosher stores, rechovi

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Fri Feb 18 08:03:42 PST 2011

At 05:51 AM 2/18/2011, Rn Toby Katz wrote:

>If the choice is mini-skirts or floor-length then yes, halavai they should
>all wear long skirts.  But.
>
>When nobody wears skirts to the floor, that style is too eye-catching to be
>  modest.    It may be that in Israel it has become so common  among the DL
>in recent years that it is no longer attention-getting, but  that is
>certainly not the case in the US.  And obviously that  style is
>still considered
>too eye-catching to be modest in charedi  neighborhoods in Israel.  I would
>add that the women whom my mother  calls the "Shmatta Ladies" -- the ones who
>ostentatiously shroud themselves in  black from head to foot -- are immodest
>in the most profound sense of the  word.  Tznius means when you walk down
>the street you look normal and  nobody gives you a second glance.
>

>--Toby Katz

Some of the uniforms worn by Bais Yaakov girls here in Brooklyn have
pretty long skirts.

As far as "Tznius means when you walk down the street you look normal
and  nobody gives you a second glance." I do not think that this is
possible today. Since most people walking in the street no longer
"look normal,"  anyone who does will most certainly call attention to
herself! >:-}

YL