[Avodah] Non-Jews Begin to Embrace Ketubah Wedding

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Feb 18 11:01:35 PST 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:57:36PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> Whether they see it or not, it is her purpose, and at least those who
> ask her will know it.  So will everyone else, if she does it as part of
> the kiddushin ceremony.

RMF says the central problems are:
1- Chuqas hagoyim, which may be tied to
her trying to immitate their rite, and thus to her intent,
and
2- How people who see the wedding might think qiddushin is done. Which
clearly doesn't.

You called someone a liar because he reported what RMF wrote without
sharing your guess that RMF may have been okay with an exception that
he didn't discuss, if there is an announcement that prevents people
from mistaking what's going on. That's pretty harsh.

Skipping back in RZS's post:
>> But continue further, RMF writes that he is afraid people will conclude
>> wrong ideas about qiddushin from what they see at this wedding. This
>> kallah's intent or isn't has nothing to do with that cheshash.

> Of course it does.  It's precisely that she is pretending to effect a
> kiddushin on him that creates the problem...

That's not all RMF says, you stop 1/3 in, before RMF's whole slippery
slope argument. At this point, I can't add anything I didn't already say.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             One doesn't learn mussar to be a tzaddik,
micha at aishdas.org        but to become a tzaddik.
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507