[Avodah] Non-Jews Begin to Embrace Ketubah Wedding

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Feb 17 16:12:42 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 09:31:16PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> On Areivim, RSBA wrote:
>> The blog has a new post from a Sydney rabbi showing that RMF indeed
>> assered the choson receiving a ring under the Chuppah
>> They have reproduced the teshuva there, ayen sham:
>> http://tinyurl.com/4bbbzfz
>
> This "Sydney rabbi" seriously misrepresents the teshuvah. Normally we
> say "harotze leshaker yarchik eduto", but nowadays it seems that one
> can hand out a teshuvah and misstate what it says, and be confident that
> most or all of the audience won't bother checking.

So I went to IM EH 3:18 to check, and I can reassure you that they
reproduced the first paragraph of that teshuvah accurately. At least,
any differences were more subtle than my ability to notice.

The next words are "Ube'etzem nir'eh LAD [sic] shehu issur gadol
sheharei al yedei zeh..."

Rav Moshe prohibites. Grounds:
- Choq hanakhrim
- one can't do it at the chupah even without a declaration, because
  one misrepesents the Torah that a woman can be meqadeshes a man.

Then RMF goes on to tell you how bad of an issur shinui hadin is.

I think they got the pesaq correct, and don't know how RZS makes
this accusation.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l