[Avodah] The Vilna Gaon and Secular Wisdom

Yitzchak Schaffer yitzchak.schaffer at gmx.com
Mon Feb 7 06:51:04 PST 2011

On 2011-02-06 18:17, Prof. Levine wrote:
> R. Israel of Shklov (d. 1839) wrote:
> all the branches of secular wisdom, including algebra, trigonometry,
> geometry, and music. He especially praised music, explaining that most
> of the Torah accents, the secrets of the Levitical songs, and the
> secrets of the Tikkunei Zohar could not be comprehended without
> mastering it

I've always wondered how much of "music" would fall under this banner.
The Gra was contemporaneous with Mozart, so he presumably had access to
Classical-period music. I think Baroque music was out of favor at that
time, and Bach (for example) was relatively obscure. Not sure about
Medieval/Renaissance music. I suppose it depends on how much the Gra
would have delved into then-historical music.

But in the end, what is "it" that informs understanding of the Tikkunei
Zohar? Musical forms and compositional styles are so varied, and I would
guess that the Levitical songs were a good way off from anything
happening in Europe in the Gra's time.

--
Yitzchak Schaffer