[Avodah] R Chiyya Raba

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 13:55:37 PST 2011

<<My entire question is how to understand the CI, not which shitah I would
choose to understand the issue for myself.

Yes, it seems like a huge chiddush, which is why I've been trying to get
someone to confirm it. So far, you and I have been having a back-and-forth
which (until this question of yours) I thought was about clarifying what
I was asking for confirmation of.>>

Following Micha's remarks I decided to revisit Bet Yishai (R Shlomo Fisher)
where he disagrees with CI on why amoraim don'f disagree with tannaim.

One of his objections is that CI seems to take for granted his concept of
2000 years Torah as a given while in fact it is a major chiddush that no one
else
has mentioned. He brings Rashi and others that clearly didnt interpret the
gemara that way. In addition he objects to making conclusions based on an
aggadata.

He brings several gemarot where in fact amoraim outweigh tannaim. One famous
one
is the discussion (yoma 85b) why we violate shabbat to save a life. After
the gemara
bring several tannatic suggestions it concludes with Shmuel who brings
the pasuk of "ve-chai bahem" and that is the one the gemara accepts.

In general according to CI he finds it difficult why amoraim and even
rishonim can disagree
on sources and interpretations of pesukim.

In terms of another discussion CI states explicitly that the generation
after Rebbe
could not disagree because they are on a lower level. R  Fisher doesnt
understand
how that could happen within a generation. However, in any case CI clearly
does NOT distinguish before and after the completion of the Mishnah.

R. Fisher also asks that if Rav is so great that he can disagree with
Tannaim how
come we pasken like R. Yochanan against Rav.

--
Eli Turkel