[Avodah] Brain Death

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 19 16:07:02 PST 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:46:44PM -0500, Yitzchak Schaffer wrote:
: You hit the point IMO: we need a definition of living human being for
: the purposes of retzichah/donation. I think that RNS's main point is that
: we shouldn't assume that Chazal's practical definition is an absolute
: definition, rather that it was based upon the lifesaving possibilities
: of the time, and that we should adjust the practical definition for our
: time. Whether that's true is out of my grasp.

RNS's argument isn't one found in shu"t. Even among those (RMTendler,
ROY, etc...) who reach the same conclusion that someone without brain-step
activity is a meis don't use this argument. So, the question may well be
out of your and my grasp; for that matter, RNS isn't a poseiq either.
But those who are more capable of pesaq than us consistently (AFAIK)
find his thesis false.

It's also circular. He's defining chai/alive in terms of our ability to
lifesave; but the concept lifesaving presumes knowing what chai/alive
is...

Frankly, I think some people who were angered by the ban against his books
are confusing fame-through-victimhood with stature. RNS is a great guy and
in his day a wonderful contributor to Avodah. But he's not a bar pelugta
of any of the posqim we're talking about in the rest of the conversation.
As I wrote above, he's not even a poseiq of the LOR sort. The amount of
conversation his writing generated is out of proportion with his lack
of expertise in the area of pesaq.

Micha Berger             "I hear, then I forget; I see, then I remember;
micha at aishdas.org        I do, then I understand." - Confucius
http://www.aishdas.org   "Hearing doesn't compare to seeing." - Mechilta
Fax: (270) 514-1507      "We will do and we will listen." - Israelites