[Avodah] Brain Death

Yitzchak Schaffer yitzchak.schaffer at gmx.com
Sun Jan 16 20:46:44 PST 2011

But is it not true that the classification of mes mamash comes only because it's humanly impossible to save him, supernatural jewels notwithstanding? Perhaps if it were standard medicine to do this, it would be a chiyuv.

You hit the point IMO: we need a definition of living human being for the purposes of retzichah/donation. I think that RNS's main point is that we shouldn't assume that Chazal's practical definition is an absolute definition, rather that it was based upon the lifesaving possibilities of the time, and that we should adjust the practical definition for our time. Whether that's true is out of my grasp.

--
Yitzchak Schaffer