[Avodah] Yayin Mevushal

Alan Rubin alan at rubin.org.uk
Wed Jan 12 09:33:08 PST 2011

Zev Sero

> >  As I understand it, according to many authorities, if a non-Jew
> >  handles yayin mevushal this does not render it non-Kosher.
>
>  That is according to all authorities.

Indeed though there appears to be disagreement whether what is labelled as yayin mevushal is really mevushal, whether pasteurisation is sufficient.

> >  The grounds
> >  for this ruling is that cooking would invalidate the wine for  avodah
> >  zara.
>
>  Indeed.  Presumably this was based on the AZ prevalent in Chazal's day.
>  Note that there's no reason for a link between what's valid for the
>  BHMK and what's valid for AZ.  We have our rules, they have theirs.

Perhaps we don't know the 'lomdus' behind these criteria. One could make an argument along the lines that 'mevushal' removes the 'shem wine' and that this would be the same whether for Avodah Zarah or the Beis Hamikdash. Is this discussed anywhere?

Alan