[Avodah] Yayin Mevushal

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jan 11 15:25:29 PST 2011

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 02:46:49PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 9/01/2011 12:18 PM, Alan Rubin wrote:
>> The grounds
>> for this ruling is that cooking would invalidate the wine for  avodah
>> zara.

> Indeed.  Presumably this was based on the AZ prevalent in Chazal's day.

There is another level of indirection. AZ defines yayin nesekh. Stam
yeinam is about preventing intermarriage, not AZ. Stam yeinam follows
the same rules in order to prevent confusion (AZ 30a).

Lemaaseh, I would think that creating rules of kashrus for bars is a
"blech" that could prevent intermarriage. (Had Reform not made a camp
between those who keep kashrus and most candidates for intermarriage.)
People are forced to think about din, even if they can find what to
drink (mevushal, beer, etc...)

I therefore don't think keeping the rules updated is really a priority
in terms of getting the job done.

Micha Berger             One doesn't learn mussar to be a tzaddik,
micha at aishdas.org        but to become a tzaddik.
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507