[Avodah] Chodosh in Chul

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Mar 23 05:48:46 PDT 2011

There is an article about this topic by Rabbi Yirmiyohu Kaganoff at
http://www.jerusalemkoshernews.com/2010/11/chodosh-in-chul/

In part he writes

Other authorities permitted the chutz la'aretz grain, relying on the
minority of early poskim who treat chodosh as a mitzvah that applies
only in Eretz Yisrael (Taz; Aruch Hashulchan). This is based on a
Gemara that states that when something has not been ruled
definitively, one may rely on a minority opinion under extenuating
circumstances (Niddah 9b).

and

Another halachic basis to permit use of the new grain is that chodosh
applies only to grain that grows in a field owned by a Jew, and not
to grain grown in a field owned by a non-Jew. Since most fields are
owned by gentiles, one can be lenient when one does not know the
origin of the grain and assume that it was grown in a gentile's
field, and it is therefore exempt from chodosh laws. This last
approach, often referred to simply as "the Bach's heter," is the
basis upon which most Ashkenazic Jewry relied.

In Conclusion
In explaining the reason for this mitzvah, Rav Hirsch notes that one
of man's greatest enemies is success, for at that moment man easily
forgets his Creator and views himself as master of his own success
and his own destiny. For this reason, the Torah created several
mitzvos whose goal is to remind and discipline us to always recognize
Hashem's role. Among these is the mitzvah of chodosh, wherein we are
forbidden from consuming the new grain until the offering of the
korban omer, which thereby reminds us that this year's crop is all
only because of Hashem (Horeb, Section 2 Chapter 42). Whether one
follows the Bach's approach to the chodosh laws or not, one should
make note every time he sees a reference to yoshon and chodosh to
recognize that success is our enemy, and humility is our savior.

Yitzchok Levine