[Avodah] tachanun

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 03:55:19 PDT 2011

<<> 1. They do not say tachanun ever at Mincha.

Nor do Boston (in Har Nof; I've never been to Boston.).>>

I was told that since shtiebels frequently daven mincha late by time
they reach tachanun it is after shkia and one doesnt say tachanun.
>From there it evolved to never saying tachanun for mincha.

There are various minhagim (especially chassidic) which seem to be
against halacha and people stuggle to justify.
One frequent explanation is that the minhag arose in some special
circumstances where it was justified but then spread to all occasions.

A famous example in not eating in the succah on shmini atzeret evening
and making kiddush in the succah in the morning and then eating indoors
(all this in chul). This also sometimes justified by claiming that the
rebbes had huge crowds which could not be accommodated in the succah

BTW this leads to a lot of confusion for olim. I have a number of arguments
with recent olim to EY who wanted to make kiddush in the succah on
shmini azeret in the morning and I tried explaining that it didnt apply in
EY

A personal story. I read that RYBS objected strongly to the double daled
knot
for the head tefillin on the grounds that it is a square and not 2 daleds.
Based on that I changed my tefillin to a single daled knot. My son recently
told
me that he has a double daled knot since that is what I ordered when he
was bar mitzvah (before I changed)

--
Eli Turkel