[Avodah] Non-Jews Begin to Embrace Ketubah Wedding

SBA sba at sba2.com
Wed Feb 16 06:14:41 PST 2011

From: Zev Sero [on Areivim -micha]
> SBA wrote:
>> While locally we are getting reports that some of Melbourne's
>> orthodox rabbis are permitting deviations from traditional Chuppah
>> ceremonies, it seems that non-Jews, davka, are adopting some of our
>> minhagim!

> Guide me through the logic here. Because some goyim are diversifying
> and adding customs to make things more interesting, therefore adding
> anything under the chupah has become chukos hagoy?!

> Now hang on a minute, what exactly are you talking about? An actual
> double-ring kidushin, where he gives her a ring and says she's thereby
> mekudeshes, and she gives him a ring and says he's thereby mekudash?!
> Are you *sure* an Orthodox rabbi allowed this? ... I can't believe
> any O rabbi would agree to a double-ring ceremony, but I can very easily
> believe that one would agree to a couple's demand that the bride give
> the groom a ring. Indeed, I've been an eid at just such a chupah, and
> everything was done in accordance with the halacha.

The blog has a new post from a Sydney rabbi showing that RMF indeed
assered the choson receiving a ring under the Chuppah (even if there is
no issue of chukkas hagoy).

They have reproduced the teshuva there, ayen sham:
http://tinyurl.com/4bbbzfz [link to an ajnwatch.blogspot.com entry -micha]

> The halacha actually demands that she give him an object of value, in
> return for his assuming the obligations of the ketubah. This is usually
> done in private before the chupah, and usually one of the eidim gives
> the object on her behalf, since zachin le'adam shelo befanav, and she
> never even finds out about it. And the eid usually gets his object back
> afterwards, as a gift from the chatan.

Am I the only one who has NEVER heard of this?

SBA