[Avodah] Dollar Bills In the Bathroom?

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Fri Feb 4 05:41:59 PST 2011

 From http://revach.net/article.php?id=4955

It is not permissible to brings something with Hashem's name into a
bathroom unless it is inside a double wrapped enclosure. What about a
US dollar bill which says, "In G-d We Trust"? Must you leave your
money outside or double bag it?

The Shevet HaKehosi (3:271) brings the Shach (YD 179:11) who says
that you may erase Hashem's name if it is written in another
language, such as the word
G-d. The Gilyon Maharshas adds that this is not the case if it is
written in Ksav Ashuris. The Sdei Chemed says it is a machlokes
whether we can erase Hashem's name written in foreign letters.

Even those who hold that erasing Hashem's name written in foreign
letters is assur, it is only if it spells Hashem's name in Lashon
HaKodesh and not the foreign word for it. If it is a foreign term in
foreign letters than according to most poskim it is muttar to erase.
The exception is Rav Yaakov Emden who forbids even this. However the
source for Rav Yaakov Emden's issur is unclear and the Keses Sofer
says that he may have meant only unnecessarily.

Furthermore says the Shevet HaKehosi the dollar bills are not written
by anyone with any kavana for Shem Hashem, it is merely printed by a
machine. Therefore he concludes that it has no Kedusha and may be
taken into a bathroom, but if someone wants to be machmir, Tavo Alav Bracha.