[Avodah] ERASE ME, PLEASE!

Rich Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Thu Feb 3 20:00:39 PST 2011

 The Torah portion a week from now will be Tetzaveh. Very interestingly as you all know, there is no mention whatsoever of the name Moshe. This is the only Sidra from the beginning of Moshe's birth where his name is omitted. I saw a beautiful commentary regarding the verse 32:32:  "And now if You would forgive their sin -- but if not, erase me please from Your book which You have written."  The word "from Your book" is misif'r'cho. The commentary points out it could be read misafer chof, which would be translated "from Book 20." The portion Tetzaveh is the 20th parsha in the Torah, and lo and behold, that's the portion that the name of Moshe is absent.