[Avodah] Ayil Meshulash

Sheldon Krause sk at ezlaw.com
Thu Feb 3 06:45:38 PST 2011

I don't see any evidence for what Micha is saying at all. If you look at
the shaar blatt it says that the manuscript was found "b'amtachat kitvei
Hagaon Hachasid ....... Elyahu M'vilna ...."and that those brining it to
print divided it into sections, added mareh mekomos etc. They are
clearly identifying it as the Gra's work.  Perhaps there is no
corroboration for it and it is impossible to know how much they may have
altered content as part of the preparation for print. But in any event
the Gra's authorship was attributed from the first printing.

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 06:39:15AM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:

> Question: If this indeed the case, namely, that "from plumbing the

> depths of the Torah he can know all the wisdom of the world," then

> why is there no mention in the GRA's sefer Aiyel Meshulash of Torah

> sources for the mathematics he presents? YL

Micha's response

The Gra didn't write Ayil MeShulash, he pushed R' Barukh Shklover to do
it. The book was finally completed by R' Menachem Man (R' Barukh's

son) and R' Simchah Ziml (grandson). C.f. this 1833 edition title page
<http://books.google.com/books?id=LeVDAAAAYAAJ&pg=PT4#v=onepage
<http://books.google.com/books?id=LeVDAAAAYAAJ&pg=PT4> >. I know later
editions attribute it to the Gra, but that's simply incorrect.