[Avodah] How to Paint Tefillin Straps

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Feb 2 06:30:28 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 08:53:08AM -0500, Prof. Levine (a/k/a RYL)
wrote to Areivim:
> Please see http://tinyurl.com/6j9pq3g

I can't question the majority of the page, the discussion of metzi'us,
but I had some problems with the first paragraph.

1- There is a hiddur of lishmah, not a chiyuv.
2- Saying "lesheim qedushas tefillin" is a tool to help lishmah, not
   even a hiddur.
3- The only part of the retzu'os that MUST be black are on the shel rosh
   up to the kesher, and the loop and the part up to going through the
   loop on the shel yad.

So how can R' Flumenbaum simply say:
    The first thing one must do before painting or blackening tefillin
    straps is to say "LeShem Kedushat Tefillin". If you did not say it
    then please consult your rabbinical authority.

None of the strap HAS to be painted lishmah, and for only a small part
of the strap is it a hiddur, and no one paints tefillin straps planning
on having black leather for shoes! So the whole notion that it might be
required to say the words is WAY overkill. No?

Micha Berger             When faced with a decision ask yourself,
micha at aishdas.org        "How would I decide if it were Ne'ilah now,
http://www.aishdas.org   at the closing moments of Yom Kippur?"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter