[Avodah] Tiqun Olam

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Sep 22 15:48:38 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 6:31pm IDT, R Michael Makovi replied to me:
:> ...
:> But even so, that's not what Tiqun olam
:> actually is. In post-Ari qabbalah, it has to do with broken keilim and
:> metaphysical forces.

: I'm not concerned with what the Ari says...

Then don't be surprised when I tell you that I don't find citations
of R' Hertz, R' Dr David Berger or R' Prof Marc Shapiro to be overly
peruasive. You need to deal with the sources that passed "peer review".
The majority of your fellow shomerei Shabbos *do* care. But that said...

:                                           First, Aleinu uses the
: phrase differently than the Ari, and I think the Aleinu has more
: authority than the Ari...

So then quote what I said WRT the Aleinu's usage, which also isn't the
modern "perfecting society" stuff:
>                        "Tiqun olam" has to do with making a malkhus
> Shakkai. Which may very well be acheived by ethics and fiscal honesty
> to the world vekhol tosheveha. But even so, that's not what Tiqun olam
> actually is.

And in fact, your own following citation doesn't fit the usage you're
giving:
:                         Rambam to Avot 1:2 says (commenting on al
: shelosha devarim ha-olem omed - al ha-torah, v'al ha-avodah, v'al
: gemilut hasadim), "Yomar, she'b'hokhmah, v'hi ha-torah; u'b'ma'alot
: ha-midot, v'hen gemilut hasadim; u'b'qium tzivei ha-torah, v'hen
: ha-qorbanot - hatmadat tiqun ha-olam v'sidur mitziuto al ha-ofen
: ha-shalem biyoter."
: But besides that, Rambam defined Avot's language "ha-olam omed" as
: "sidur mitziuto al ha-ofen ha-shalem biyot", and he then equated this
: with "hatmada tiqun ha-olam".

Tiqun olam is as much about bringing the world to avodah ("malkhus
Shakkai") as it is about gemilus chassadim. The Rambam identifies it
with all three amudim.

Tiqun olam doesn't mean social justice. The problem is doubled by the
fact that the majority of people who do use the term that way define a
just society in terms of a particular political philosophy to which I
don't subscribe.

As a halachic idiom, it appears to be a fiscal concept in particular.
But if we're looking more generally, I agree the Rambam is a great place
to start.

To quote your own blog