[Avodah] reading thermometers on shabbos

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 21:37:22 PDT 2009

In a message dated 9/10/2009 8:49:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gershonseif at yahoo.com writes:

Is  reading the temperature part of the issur of measuring? That would have
 nothing to do with reading a clock.

I just don't see passive reading as part of any  issur.  You did the
measuring, in effect, when you first put up the  thermometer -- before Shabbos.
It's no more assur to read the thermometer  that you set up before Shabbos
than it is to drink the tea that you boiled  before Shabbos.  That's how it
seems to me, anyway.

Let's take a somewhat different, but pretty common (in Florida anyway)
scenario.  It starts to get hot in the house and you go over to the  thermostat
that controls the A/C.  You see that it is 85 degrees in your  house even
though the thermostat is set at 70.  You say Drat, the A/C is on  the fritz
again. I never ever heard anyone suggest that it was wrong to go  have a look
and see just how hot it is in the house!

Well OK enough mimetics, now somebody else has to chime in with  text.....

--Toby  Katz