[Avodah] Tiqun Olam

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Sep 10 03:20:09 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 01:55:09AM -0400, T613K at aol.com wrote:
: You segued rather confusingly from Rav Samson Rafael Hirsch to Rabbi  Dr.
: J. H. Hertz.  These two individuals are NOT philosophically  interchangeable.

Actually, does anyone know what RDJHH's philosophy was? (That question
is /not/ rhetorical.

All I can glean from the chumash is that he spent a lot of time
learning kefirah so he can write mah lehashiv la'apiqoreis at great
length. Including both rebuttals and how to reach the same position
as rishonim and convince people who might be more convinced by use of
non-mesoretic sources. His conclusions aren't particularly avante gard.

It's a sad statement about his target audience, but it doesn't tell me
much about where his own thought was.

(He was JTS's first graduate, but they and the OU were still the same
camp back then. C didn't exist in 1894. And from there he went on to
succed R' NM Adler as Chief Rabbi.)

Micha Berger             Feeling grateful  to or appreciative of  someone
micha at aishdas.org        or something in your life actually attracts more
http://www.aishdas.org   of the things that you appreciate and value into
Fax: (270) 514-1507      your life.         - Christiane Northrup, M.D.