[Avodah] Tiqun Olam

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Sep 9 22:55:09 PDT 2009

From: Michael Makovi _mikewinddale at gmail.com_
(mailto:mikewinddale at gmail.com)

>>  A few months ago, in this present thread, I cited and discussed Howard
I.  Levine's "Enduring and Transitory Elements in the Philosophy of
Samson  Raphael Hirsch" (Spring 1963).

....The following is an excerpt from  an essay I am writing on this
subject, comparing Rav Hirsch to the Kuzari on  the subject of morality
and tiqun olam....
<<Excerpt  begins>>

But we might wish to note that if we are accustomed to  viewing
holiness, the experience of the numinous, as the very acme  of
religion, then we should realize that not only Rav Hirsch, but
further  the Prophetic mind in general will disagree with the Mesilat
Yesharim. In  Rabbi Dr. J. H. Hertz's Early and Late (Soncino Press,
1943), we read, (/A  Vindication of Religion/, p. 197),....

<<End excerpt from my  essay>>

Michael Makovi

You segued rather confusingly from Rav Samson Rafael Hirsch to Rabbi  Dr.
J. H. Hertz.  These two individuals are NOT philosophically  interchangeable.

--Toby  Katz