[Avodah] 100 B'rochos

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Wed Sep 9 22:57:51 PDT 2009

Cantor Wolberg asked:

> I came across the following regarding the halacha to
> recite meah brochos daily: "If one makes a mistake that
> requires a repeat of the sh'mone esrei (e.g. he forgot
> ya'ale v'yavo on Rosh Chodesh) it is possible that both
> the b'rochos from the first and second sh'mone es'rei(s)
> count."
> IMHO this doesn't sound reasonable or logical [and it's
> obviously not a chok :-)]. It's like saying you're being
> rewarded and given credit for a mistake. Anybody disagree?

The quoted halacha seems to accurately reflect the psak of Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach z"l.

The remainder of this post consists of extracts from the Halichos Shlomo (which was compiled and edited by his sons), from the volume on Tefilah. If one reads these sections carefully, I think you will see not only how he holds in halacha, but you will also see how he arrived at these conclusions. (One who is able to learn it in the original should do so, because this is only a portion of what appears there.)

Halichos Shlomo 8:9 -- One who does not have kavana in the first bracha of Shmoneh Esreh, and realizes this [later on] during the prayer - even though our practice is not to daven all over again, nevertheless, because the halacha is that one *should* repeat it, it is proper (ra'ui) to do what they say in the name of the Chazon Ish, which is to think in his heart, with kavana, from the beginning of the Shmoneh Esreh until the point he is up to...

Davar Halacha 8:11 -- The Beur Halacha (siman 101, "V'ha'idna") was surprised how he can continue. Given that the halacha is to go back, how can we tell him to continue?? He won't be yotzay davening with it!!! - It seems that even if we grant that he is not yotzay davening, nevertheless it does *not* count as brachos l'vatala, because in the final analysis, he *has* said the bracha in its entirety, and lack of kavana does not make it into a bracha l'vatala, only that he's not yotzay with it. Even so, it is legitmately called "tefilah", and just like one is obviously forbidden to walk in front of such a person, so too [these brachos] *do* count towards the 100 daily brachos. (...) The same thing applies if one erred and omitted "tal umatar"....

Orchos Halacha 8:36 -- In RSZA's notes, he wrote, "Tzorech Iyun: When someone makes a mistake in Shmoneh Esreh like not saying HaMelech HaKadosh, where he has to start over, or if he omitted Tal Umatar, why doesn't he say Baruch Shem K'vod Malchuso L'olam Va'ed?" But according to what we've written here, that it is *not* a bracha l'vatala, it makes sense (nicha).

Halichos Shlomo 8:6 -- If two are davening, and one overhears that the other said Tal Umatar in the summer [when it should be omitted], if he can signal to him [right away] then he should do so. But if not, then he should inform him after he has completed the prayer.

Davar Halacha 8:6 -- This is like the Davar Halacha 8:11, that the subsequent brachos of the person who erred are *not* l'vatala. So following that reasoning, it seems that one who hears another make a mistake in the davening - such as saying Tal Umatar in the summer or vice versa - even though his halacha is that he has to start over from the beginning, the other person has no heter to go in front of him, for it is vadai that [what he is doing] counts as "Tefilah". The same applies that it counts towards his 100 Brachos, except that he is not yotzay with them. Nevertheless, at the actual moment of making the mistake, it is like the Shechina is gone, and at that time it is mutar to go in front of him [to alert him about the error].

Akiva Miller