[Avodah] Kashrus of a Restaurant Under the Supervision of its Owner

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Wed Sep 9 13:54:16 PDT 2009

Yitzhak Grossman wrote:
> However, your conclusion, that "there is no practical way in halacha to
> run a large firm", doesn't follow.  It is certainly possible to
> establish contractual liability of the owner for his worker's
> misconduct.  Of course, the arrangements would have to be carefully
> constructed by an expert in Hoshen Mishpat to avoid problems of
> asmachta and possibly other concerns (just as a legal contract should
> be reviewed / crafted by a legal expert), but I see no reason why this
> should be impossible in principle.

I agree that it may be possible, and that I expressed my objection
imprecisely, when I wrote "So the major kashrus agencies, with dozens of
employees we don't know personally, can run only in a non-halachic legal
system".  I hope the following is better phrased:

The equivalent of modern large corporations, with hundreds of anonymous
employees, existed during the Roman Empire.  I have no doubt that the
Tannaim and those of the Amaraim who lived in Eretz Yisrael were
familiar with such corporations.  Yet nowhere did Hazal construct the
contract you postulate.  I conclude that this is because Hazal
disapproved of such arrangements.

It may be necessary for a contemporary businesman to use such
arrangements in order to compete with firms owned by non-Jews.  I can
imagine no such reason for kashrus agencies to do so, when there is a
viable alternative described by the Aruch HaShulhan, as we previously
discussed.  Indeed, I deduce from the subjunctives in your post that, as
far as you know, kashrus agencies have not composed such contracts.

In order for the kashrus agencies to run in the way they do, they are
adopting methods of which Hazal seem to have disapproved.

David Riceman