[Avodah] Kol kevudah: a woman's place is in the home

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 2 11:56:54 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:30:45PM -0400, Yitzhak Grossman wrote:
: On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:53:04 -0400 Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
: ...
: > In <http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol04/v04n122.shtml#01> R Mordechai
: > Torczyner writes:
: > > Kol Kevodah, on the other hand, places an emphasis on actually being away
: > > from the sight of others (Rashi Tehillim 45:14, and others there). This
: > > does not necessarily refer to being indoors, but it does mean staying out
: > > of the spotlight, as a general course of behavior (see Avodah Zarah 18a,
: > > Rashi there sv Dikdekah - it is clear that the problem is not with being
: > > in public, it is with being in the spotlight of avoiding the spotlight.
:
: Rambam and Hasam Sofer (that I keep mentioning in this thread) clearly
: understand the issue to be inside vs. outside the house, and not being
: in vs. avoiding the spotlight (although it should be acknowledged that
: HS is disparaging a woman who wanders off to a remote and dangerous
: location without her husband's knowledge, and he's presumably not
: criticizing a woman who shops locally as per the family arrangements).

I"m wondering why you felt a need to repeat yourself yet again. Does
Rashi's opinion become less authoritative if you repeat the Rambam's
in reply? Nu, I replied to your point with a statement that it's a
machloqes rishonim.

Micha Berger             Between stimulus & response, there is a space.
micha at aishdas.org        In that space is our power to choose our
http://www.aishdas.org   response. In our response lies our growth
Fax: (270) 514-1507      and our freedom. - Victor Frankl, (MSfM)