[Avodah] Kol kevudah: a woman's place is in the home

Yitzhak Grossman celejar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 19:30:45 PDT 2009

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:53:04 -0400
Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> In <http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol04/v04n122.shtml#01> R Mordechai
> Torczyner writes:
> > Kol Kevodah, on the other hand, places an emphasis on actually being away
> > from the sight of others (Rashi Tehillim 45:14, and others there). This
> > does not necessarily refer to being indoors, but it does mean staying out
> > of the spotlight, as a general course of behavior (see Avodah Zarah 18a,
> > Rashi there sv Dikdekah - it is clear that the problem is not with being
> > in public, it is with being in the spotlight of avoiding the spotlight.

Rambam and Hasam Sofer (that I keep mentioning in this thread) clearly
understand the issue to be inside vs. outside the house, and not being
in vs. avoiding the spotlight (although it should be acknowledged that
HS is disparaging a woman who wanders off to a remote and dangerous
location without her husband's knowledge, and he's presumably not
criticizing a woman who shops locally as per the family arrangements).

Yitzhak
--
Bein Din Le'din - http://bdld.info - *** Note change of address ***
http://bdld.info/2009/07/19/by-any-other-url/