[Avodah] lo plug

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 07:01:18 PDT 2009

<<IIRC Rabbah made no such gzeira!

In Megillah the Gmara deduced there is no Megillah on Shabbas and uses
Rabba's S'vara to explain it

I need to review inside but I suspect that is true of Shofar and Lulav.
They were all axiomaticcally refrained from on Shabbas already. Then.
Rabbah only provided the WHY for a pre-existing WHAT. I suspect that
perhaps Rabbah's reason is not THE definitive reason.

FWIW The Y-lmi gives the passuq "zichron tru'ah" to explain no Shofar
on Shabbos - mashma d'oraisso or at least an asmachta.>>

I already had quoted the Yerushalmi. The general consensus is that the
Bavli disagrees with the Yerushalmi
(discussed by RYBS in Noraot HaRav vol 1)
The Yerushalmi obviously does not know of the gezerah of Rav.
It says megilla is not read on shabbat because ketivin are not read on
shabbat. The Yerushalmi does not discuss lulav on shabbat.

Granted that Rabbah did not start the gezerah which goes back to
 Yochanan ben Zakkai. However, the commentaries all assume his reason.
Didnt see anyone suggesting that it wasnt THE definitive reason (again according
to the Bavli)

--
Eli Turkel