[Avodah] lo plog

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Mon Aug 24 10:41:45 PDT 2009

IOW, because of all of the above, reproducing halakhah would require knowing more history than is possible to.

And last, you need to have daas Torah, that absorbtion in the Torah Weltanschaunng to the extent of being able to fill in the gaps between the rules of pesaq, to go from conflicting sevaros and shitos to lemasseh. Is that reproducible?

#1 is a technical point, I would guess that in theory in an oral tradition world you would do the best you could to understand the "history" to determine if change in the new world was necessary.

#2 is the point I've been getting at for a while- that the baalei mesorah have tremendous flexibility and go on "instinct".  So who determines who is a baal mesorah?  In the end is it the Jewish people choose their leaders and thus leaders need to stay within a certain range?

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.