[Avodah] Qaddish and Women

Chana Luntz Chana at kolsassoon.org.uk
Thu Aug 20 12:06:36 PDT 2009

RDI writes:

> But, if it was instituted originally for a yasom, who cannot
> act as sha"tz, and it was originally instituted as a single
> sayer, then we see that it either is not a davar
> shebikedusha, or it is a special exception of some sort.  If
> a katan can lead it, why not an isha?
> Unless, as I say above, it was not instituted for katanim,
> but for am haratzim- in which case we should posken today
> that a katan can't lead (does anyone hold like that?).

Well the Rema in the Shulchan Aruch Yoreh Deah siman 376, si'if 4 states
explicitly that it was instituted for the katanim, so obviously no.

The Shut of the Meharil in siman 28 which is one of the key sources for this
Rema  was written specifically to address the following question - "The
great of the generation asked ... and also the reason why it is called the
Orphan Kaddish.  And why minors say this kaddish since it is a d'var
shebekadusha."  His answer is that it was metaken specifically for katanim,
and that katanim can say it, because it is not a chova.

> Just thinking "out loud".
>
> --
> Daniel M. Israel

Regards