[Avodah] Qaddish and Women

Joseph C. Kaplan jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com
Tue Aug 18 13:42:23 PDT 2009

"The question is what if the ONLY hiyyuv is a woman? Can she say qaddish
for a tzibbur?

The implications can be staggering!"

In my shul, a man asked the rabbi a few years ago what should we do if there was only a woman saying kaddish.  He answered:  "Don't talk and answer amen yehey shmey rabbah."  (Unfortunately, as our congregation has aged, it's now rare to have only one person saying kaddish at any service.)

When my wife was saying kaddish, she wanted to daven mincha in another local shul but didn't know what that shul's policy on women saying kaddish was.  She called the rabbi who told her:  the policy is that a woman can say kaddish only if a man is also saying kaddish.  The second part of the policy is that if a woman wants to say kaddish and there is no man saying kaddish, the gabbai is responsible to make sure that a man also says kaddish so the woman can say it.

Joseph Kaplan