[Avodah] Kashrus of a Restaurant Under the Supervision of its Owner

Ben Waxman ben1456 at zahav.net.il
Wed Aug 19 11:57:19 PDT 2009

Actually I looked through AhS YD 119 and found something of a contradiction.
The Rema in YD 64 clearly that the kelim are OK (however lav dafka because
of stam kelim aino ben yoma but because their custom is based on sources.
The Beir Heitiv brings an opinion that clearly states that the kelim can be
ben yoma). And the Shakh adds that even food having some some kheilev in it
would not be assur.

However the AhS in 119:42 the AhS discusses what a guest should do when
eating at someone's table who does not have the same customs and dinim as
the guest (note to all: the AhS does NOT give the simple option of "just
don't eat there"). One point that the AhS makes (in the name of the Shakh)
is that if the guest does not eat some type of food because he feels that
this is the din (as opposed to not eating something because of minhag), then
it is assur for the host to prepare other food in the same pot used to
prepare the food in question. For example my guest refrains from khalav akum
because he feels that is the halakha, then I can not prepare food in a pot
previously used to cook khalav akum. It does not matter if the pot is eino
ben yoma because that heter is only bediavad. If I am preparing food for
both of us however, then that is OK.

Maybe I am missing something here.

Ben