[Avodah] Kashrus of a Restaurant Under the Supervision of its Owner

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu Aug 13 07:16:18 PDT 2009

At 07:18 PM 8/12/2009, Zev Sero wrote:
> > Years ago someone told me that there is a teshuva of the Chasam Sofer
> > that says that such supervision is not valid, but I do not know which
> > teshuva this is.
>
>If so, it would have been a chumrah or takanah specific to the
>circumstances of his place and time.  The CS surely did not have
>the authority to change the basic halacha in the SA and Rama,
>for all times and places!

Here is what I was told.

There was once a reliable shochet who decided to open a butcher shop.
He argued the following: Since he was considered reliable when it
came to his shechita, he therefore should not be required to have
supervision on his butcher shop.

This case was brought to the Chasam Sofer who paskened that this
fellow did indeed need supervision on his butcher shop. The reasoning
was that when it came to shechita, the shochet received the same
amount of compensation, no matter if an animal were found to be
kosher or not. However, when it came to his butcher shop, there
definitely were financial considerations. In short, in his butcher
shop he was nogeah b'davar, and hence needed supervision.

I repeat that I have not seen the actual teshuva.

YL