[Avodah] Ben Sorer Umoreh

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Tue Aug 11 23:41:10 PDT 2009

Akiva Blum wrote:
> [...]

In each of the three cases the Gemara first says "lo hayah, v'lo l'asid
lihiyos," and then goes on "V'lama nichtava?  Darosh v'kabel s'char.
K'man?" and proceeds to quote a tanna who gives a very unlikely criteria
for that case.

IIUC, both you and RZS are understanding the Gemara's question, "k'man"
as asking for a proof of the claim "lo hayah, v'lo l'asid lihiyos."  The
proof would then be not that it is intrinsically impossible, but rather
that it is improbably.  The only exception being that in the first case,
you point out that the Bach shows that the stated condition actually is
impossible.

I read the Gemara slightly differently.  I think "k'man" is used in its
conventional sense.  The Gemara is simply asking which other tanna is
the first tanna holding like.  And, given that the first tanna has just
explicitly claimed that the case is impossible, it is reasonable to
assume that he holds like the most restrictive known interpretation of
the case.  IOW, "lo hayah, v'lo l'asid lihiyos," is an independent claim
that the case is intrinsically impossible, and is not being proven from
the restrictiveness of the case.

That the Bach found a sevarah why the first case is actually
demonstrably impossible may imply that such a proof could be found for
the other two cases, but it is not necessary for my reading.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu