[Avodah] School Tuition + Fundraising

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Tue Aug 11 22:52:11 PDT 2009

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com wrote:
> Set aside the halachic issues for a while
>
> What are the ETHICS of Jewish Schools doing the following?
>
> Instead of asking for a lump sum - say $10,000, you sometimes get
>
> $500 journal ad
> $1500 "scholarship" donation
> $500 registration
> $2000 "scrip" obligation
> (worth $100)
> $500 raffle
> Etc.
>
> And finally the remainder is the "tuition"
>
> But any "honest" accountant will tell you it's all tuition and none
> is deductible.
>
> So what's the point?
> It seems a ha'arama and a less than "tamim tihyeh" approach. When our
> educational system "plays games" won't the students learn the "wrong"
> lessons?
>
> Wouldn't "Glatt yosher" call a tuition a tuition and suspend with using
> "manipulation" to acheive the fund-raising goal?

Can you clarify what problem is bothering you?

If you are concerned that the schools are trying to hide the true cost
of tuition (I've been looking at cars recently, dealers are expert at
this), I would agree that that would not be yosher, but I'm not
convinced that that is the motivation.  I think rather it is an attempt
to make the price more marketable.  That is, not to make me unaware of
the price, but to make me happier about paying it.

If you are concerned about tax law, AIUI, the rule is simple.  It is
only deductible if no tangible benefits are provided.  In this case it
boils down to (I would think): if attendance is contingent on paying
this fee, it isn't deductible.  If parents deduct things they shouldn't
that is a yashrus problem on their part, not the school's.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu