[Avodah] Halachah, Mussar, Qabbalah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 11 07:26:22 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:55:25AM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: First, I note that your post is not about conflating halacha with
: minhag, or conflating halacha with chumra. If that's what you were
: writing about, I would understand the distinctions which you're trying
: to clarify. But that's NOT what your post is about. Your post is about
: conflating halacha wih mussar, and halacha with kabbala. And that's
: where you've lost me.

The way you phrase it, I'm even more confused. I understood the conflation
of mussar/qabbalah/machashavah with halakhah as being about minhag, or
choice of pesaq, or personal hanhagah. (The same three options I raised
when I proposed that "chumrah" is a homonym for three different things.)
Those are the ways that thought touches practice, no?

But that's not why I replied, since I think that would just be restating
an aspect of RAM's point.

Rather, it's because I recently found the following in my Google Reader
<http://hirhurim.blogspot.com/2009/08/inducing-labor.html>, "Inducing
Labor" by R' Aryeh Enkin. It, like the teshuvos is summarizes, relates
such aggadic concepts as mazal, time of saqanah (and protection when
the birth is at it own time), etc... into a discussion of whether it's
permissable to induce labor in cases where there is no danger to mother
or child.

Micha Berger             I long to accomplish a great and noble task,
micha at aishdas.org        but it is my chief duty to accomplish small
http://www.aishdas.org   tasks as if they were great and noble.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Helen Keller