[Avodah] lecha dodi

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 10:04:41 PDT 2009

Lecha Dodi is said Shabbat Evening but not Yom Tov Evening.
When the two coincide there are various customs of what to eliminate.

RYBS explains that the essence of shabbat is welcoming G-d into our home
and this is the essence of kabbalat shabbat and lecha dodi.

However, the essence of YomTov is bet hamikdash centered ie we are going
to meet G-d rather then G-d coming to us. Hence when the two coincide
there is a mixture of the two.
Nusach Ashkenaz stresses the yomtov side and so minimizes kabbalat
shabbat and lecha dodi.
Nusach Sefard is willing to make a bigger compromize and so says
mizmor shor and the first 2 and last 2 stanzas of lecha dodi

kol tuv

--
Eli Turkel