[Avodah] tisha baav as a moed

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sat Aug 1 20:44:04 PDT 2009

R' Micha Berger asked:
> Once it becomes a holiday, will we put on tefillin at all?
> Or is the gemara implying there would be an issur melakhah?

By "coincidence", my chavrusa and I hit a gemara today, which I think is quite relevant to this.

In Gemara Megilla 5b, near the top (lines 9-12), Rav Yosef cites Esther 9:19, which says that Purim is a "Yom Tov", to show that there is an Issur Melacha on Purim.

Further down that daf (lines 29-34), Rabba brei d'Rava says that 9:19 refers to before Purim was legislated, and that the proper pasuk - which describes Purim nowadays - is 9:22. He shows that 9:22 specifically omits the term "yom tov" from its description of the halachic aspects of Purim, and that although eulogies and fasting are assur, melacha is not. The gemara then goes on to explain that although is not technically "assur", there are indeed communities which has accepted a *minhag* to avoid melacha. (The halacha follows the second view - Orach Chaim 696:1.)

So here's my question: Rav Yosef holds that there is a real issur melacha on Purim. Did *he* wear his tefillin on that day? (and maybe even say Kiddush?)

The question becomes even more relevant in light of the Rambam (last halacha in Taanis) which I cited in my previous post. That Rambam quoted the pasuk of Zechariah 8:19, which says that all four fast days are destined to become "moadim tovim", and he interprets that to mean that in Moshiach's days, they'll become "yom tov".

My guess is that however Rav Yosef related to the issur melacha on Purim, we'll be doing the same for Tisha B'Av, bimhera b'yamenu.

Akiva Miller