[Avodah] we live in good times

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 31 03:15:55 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 01:53:51PM -0400, Stuart Feldhamer wrote:
: I believe it's an explicit pasuk in Nach that the walls of Y"M were not
: destroyed on 17 Tamuz for the first destruction. Do you have any sources for
: the shiur?

Looking at complicated historical questions like when WWI started...

Germany made their first declaration of war of WWI, against Russia,
on 9 Av, 5674 (Aug 1, 1914). Much is made of it in some circles, that
Germany's road to the Shoah began on Tish'ah be'Av.

But if you think about it, one could equally say the war began with the
assination on June 28; or with the first declaration by any country,
Austria declaring war on Serbia on July 8th; or with the first shots,
the Battle of Liege (Germany's invation of Belgium) on Aug 3; etc... And
was WWI the start of the road, and not the birth of the Nazi party,
their election of Hitler, etc, etc, etc...

Thinking of when I reached that realization, I wonder if the stirah
is real. It could be that there were multiple events that in different
perspectives could be terms "the first breach".

This doesn't fully answer the question, since it would then force us to
ask how the navi's context differs from ours to justify our focusing on
a different event as the beginning of the breach.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             "I hear, then I forget; I see, then I remember;
micha at aishdas.org        I do, then I understand." - Confucius
http://www.aishdas.org   "Hearing doesn't compare to seeing." - Mechilta
Fax: (270) 514-1507      "We will do and we will listen." - Israelites