[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

Yitzhak Grossman celejar at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 19:34:22 PDT 2009

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:57:47 +0100
"Chana Luntz" <chana at kolsassoon.org.uk> wrote:

> No idea whether maharats will help deal with this mess - and whether they
> should (maybe we should just have some more thundering - but you still
> haven't addressed the question as to how a single woman is supposed to
> develop a relationship with a Rav, contrary to the traditional model - but
> then again maybe she shouldn't and mutav shoggagin - which seems to have
> been at least one way the question has been answered in the halachic
> literature - think women's jewelry), but once you frame the issue as about
> public need as you do, then it is not very hard to see the public need that
> is arguably being addressed.

I don't have the book in front of me, but ISTR that David Malkiel has
a fascinating and provocative discussion of the issue of "women's
Halachah" in general, and the jewelery issue in particular, in his
recent "Reconstructing Ashkenaz - The Human Face of Franco-German
Jewry, 1000-1250".

Yitzhak
--
Bein Din Le'din - http://bdld.info - *** Note change of address ***