[Avodah] we live in good times

Yitzhak Grossman celejar at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 17:36:52 PDT 2009

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:27:30 +0300
Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just a thought - I suspect without any surveys to back me - that very
> few Jews of any stripe
> today know anything about the Chelminitzky massacres which wiped out much of
> Polish Jewry in horribly vicious fashion. These happened some 360 years ago.
> I wonder how many Jews in 100-200 years will remember the Shoah. The
> only difference
> is the existence of Yom Hashoah and various Holocaust museums

I)  The scale is quite different, at least in an absolute sense; about
300,000 Jews were massacred by Chmielnicki, compared to the six million
in the Holocaust.
(http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=469&letter=C)

II) The difference is certainly not only "the existence of Yom Hashoah
and various Holocaust museums"; how many books, popular and scholarly,
and newspaper and journal articles have been written about the
Holocaust?  How many about Tah Ve'Tat?

Yitzhak
--
Bein Din Le'din - http://bdld.info - *** Note change of address ***