[Avodah] Shabbos Hazzon, Lecha Dodi

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 24 13:57:44 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:29:17AM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: R' Rich Wolpoe posted five excellent reasons why it is okay to sing Lecha Dodi to the tune of Eli Tzion on Shabbos Chazon.

Which you also recommended in previous iterations of this topic.

More humorous:
We are maqpidim to sing Lekha Dodi to the tune of the closing lines of
Eli Tziyon.

See
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=L#LECHA%20DODI%20AND%20ELI%20TZION>
and
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=1#9%20DAYS%20QUESTION>
for previous related Avodah discussions.

: For several other reasons, I refer interested readers to
: R' Baruch Schwartz's 1997 post in Mail-Jewish, available at
: http://www.ottmall.com/mj_ht_arch/v25/mj_v25i64.html

Interestingly, R' Baruch Schwartz said it's the nusach for "benei
veisekha kevatchilah..." on Yom Tov. And SBA says the tune is also used
in Tiqun Chatzos. So maybe my joke (above) about the last two lines of
Eli Tziyon isn't /that/ far off.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507