[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 19:23:31 PDT 2009

Dr. Meir Shinnar
> I would add one thing - that RHS's and your analysis reflect a growing
> trend - the emphasis on the importance of personal perfection rather
> than the needs of the community - which has many other manifestations
> in current haredi society (and reflects RHS"s haredi bent), What is
> unique about this analysis that it is the first that I know off that,
> in viewing the conflict between the needs of the community and that of
> personal perfection - views communal service as intrinsically detrimental
> to the individual - even if, under some circumstances, it becomes muttar -
> rather than potentially posing dangers, depending on the invididual and
> the nature of the service. It is therefore highly morally problematic.

I concur with Dr. Shinar in that I find this trend disturbing

However, one may serve the Tzibbur w/o being highly visible. A classic
example is the Chevra Kadisha that serve with relative anonymity.

I'm not sure how the creation of offices such as Maharat serve to serve
the community. True women yoatzot can be very valuable in guiding women
in very touchy issues. And that is the point; it promotes male tzenius.

But how do Maharats improve the community at large -outside of this
specific function?

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile