[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 20 11:46:42 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 12:13:55AM +0100, Chana Luntz wrote:
: I am not quite sure what exactly you are getting at here.  The point has
: been reiterated by many posters that nowhere in common practice do we see
: any evidence of an understanding of tznius leading us to diminish the
: availability of public roles or indeed the creation of new ones - at least
: as it applies to men...

I'm curious about the second clause. What new rules created for men are
you thinking of?

: We do see a tendency to diminish public roles for women...

But that's not what we're talking about here. The innovator carries
the burden of proof that the change is an improvement in avodas H'.
Diminishing public role therefore has a different standard of
justification than creating new ones.

But until I get another

: Ah but it is highly relevant.  If you asked the halachic man on the
: equivalent of the clapham omnibus (ie the halachic everyman) what was the
: reason women could not get aliyos, chances are the explanation you would get
: back is because it is not tznius for men to see/hear a woman...

All of this is not my argument, and is part of the confusion of an
authoritative definition of tzeni'us that is accord with common practice
and your discussion of common definitions of tzeni'us.

I don't care of the man on the street thinks that kol ishah is a key
issue if it turns out that he's wrong. Or, that kol ishah and ervah is
a totally distinct issue that people conflate because they use the word
tzeni'us in two senses.

In order to say that common practice is evidence that we follow a
different shitah than the one RHS proposes, or of my understanding of
his proposal, someone has to actually show that another shitah exists.
This hasn't happened yet, which is why all this dialog (18 posts over
the weekend totalling nearly 78 K) fails to make an impression on me.

: You can only understand RHS like that if you think he is talking in a
: vacuum.  I find that completely impossible to believe. Rather I believe that
: your unifying definition is precisely his unifying definition...

He doesn't raise the question of tzeni'us in the anti-peritzus almost the
same thing as ervah sense of the word. He doesn't need to unify anything.

: A third is to explain kovod hatzibbur in some way - that it is insulting to
: the community if women do things that men could do.

It's insulting to the community if women do things men are obligated to
do and they aren't.

: I am sure there are others.

: You may not like any of these, but these run far deeper in the sources than
: what is being proposed.  And while one might not like the consequences of
: these, they do not lead to the other negative consequences that would come
: about by applying your thesis generally.

They're vox popularis, and that's not how mesorah works.

: Yes, but that is not necessarily quiet worship (in many communities it can
: involve people chanting things together, and in others people screaming,
: what sounds at the top of their voice, their own individual prayer oblivious
: to the other).  Chana is a certain kind of an ideal, but it is not the only
: ideal...

???? This is quiet in a totally different sense. We were contrasting
life behind the mechitzah and a woman leading pesuqei dezmira. Not
talking about actual volume.

: Ie Moshe the flawed hero...

Asked and answered. It's not a flaw to sell one thing to buy something
greater.